Monday, February 2, 2009

Tze Chun: Child of Invention


Today I went to a screening at the William Morris Agency to watch my friend  Tze Chun's new film.  I would post the trailer here but.... I haven't edited it yet!

That's right, I'm editing the trailer for Children of Invention and I think it's going to be a lot of fun.  It tells the story of an immigrant Chinese family that becomes entangled in a pyramid scheme- perfect for our Madoff-ized world.  

Children does an excellent job of examining the intimate lives of its characters in the context of their social milieu, and at the same time allows us into their dream like interior world.  That and it's funny and sad and hopeful all at the same time.  All of  this is alluded to in the director's statement that Tze wrote

Having a father who is also an immigrant, and also being of the same generation as Tze, I could relate to the themes of this film...  It's an excellent example of what could be called global cinema...  I have more to say about it, but I think I'll wait till after I watch it a view times and perhaps share an interview with Tze...

Oh, and I'll be sure to show you the trailer when it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment