Saturday, April 25, 2009

Going Global: Learning About Film Distribution for a Global Community

A while ago my friend (and sometimes collaborator) Todd Brown referred me to Stacey Parks.  Stacey was looking to make a viral video for her website, www.filmspecific.com, a distribution resource for filmmakers.  As part of the deal for making the video for her, Stacey gave me a pass to her weekend boot camp on global distribution.

So here I am at the Viceroy Hotel in Santa Monica, listening and learning about global distribution at a time of world disarray.  The funniest thing was running into the Carberry twins, who I've blogged about in the past.  These 19 year old kids managed to finangle a job videotaping the event.  I'm convinced in 5 years we're all be working for them.   Sitting next to me right now is Bilal Khan, a graphic designer/social media consultant/businessman who is doing a documentary on relief work done by Islamic charities during Hurrican Katrina.  Such an interesting person who effortlessly blends piety and modernity.

I've learned a lot of interesting things from the event, and when I finish producing the marketing video for Stacey's site, I'll post it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment